Thursday, May 5, 2011

No "country gravy" on my mashed potatoes Please!

Have you ever wondered why they insist on smothering perfectly good mashed potatoes with "country gravy"? My dad says this is a "Texas thing" so if you don't know what I am talking about i'm sure you can envision... perfectly good mashed potatoes drowning in a thick blanket of "white gravy". Sure some people like it that way, but I like things simple, a little butter and some pepper... I know what you are thinking, where on earth is she going with this, well, it's my new analogy. I have decided that life is complicated enough without smothering it with unnecessary junk. Why complicate things, why make more out of it than you have to... why put "country gravy" on perfectly good mashed potatoes.

I have been really taking the time to sit back and evaluate life recently. I have already come to the realization that I am not the same person now that I was 2 years ago. Before Bryce got sick I was a total "people pleaser", I was the one that always put everyones needs ahead of my own, making sure that no one was mad at me, that my friends and family were happy regardless of what I had to do to accomplish that! Now, I am putting me first. I have decided that I am the priority and that I need to be happy, to smile and laugh. I don't want things to be complicated, I just want to be able to have a loving relationship with my family, funtimes with my friends and find AMY again. I love to be around people, I love to go out to lunch, to hang out with friends, I love to travel and see new things (ok that sounded a little like a personal add :-) ) I have been so weighed down with the crappy hand that life dealt us that I have forgotten what it is that makes me happy... that is all changing. I am making more time for my friends, more time for myself and more time to get out and see the world (ok maybe just the US cause my passport is expired and I can't afford to get it renewed right now).

The last 2 days have been awesome. I made, or should I say took, the time to hang out with my friends. 2 days in a row, lunch, shopping, chilling on the porch playing with the dogs... just relaxing, not really thought provoking, good times with friends. It has been really nice and shown me that I have been desperately missing that aspect of life! It's kind of rejuvenating, for the first time in a long time I feel like I fit in here in Texas. There are people that I care about that I can rely on and know that it doesn't have to be so complicated. Deep Breathe... dare I say it... life is good right now!

Moral of the story is this, if you want to remain on the "crazy chicks" good side, then don't smother me with "country gravy" keep it simple, don't make things complicated and remember. to laugh. There really is No Day But Today so you might as well fill it with the people that you care about and find a way to make it the best that it can be. Life is tough but it's the people that you choose to surround yourself with that determine how relaxing the "simple moments" can be!





"Simplicity is making the journey of this life with just enough baggage." ~Author Unknown



No comments:

Post a Comment