Thursday, June 9, 2011

It Seems Like Just Yesterday... Or was it Forever Ago!

Years, they come and go, they pass by in the blink of an eye. As we go through year after year we often say "I can't believe it's been a year". I turned 36 years old this week, I sit here and think WOW, it seems just like yesterday I was in High School, It seems like just yesterday that I started working at Disney, it seems like just yesterday... this is a statement that goes along with the happy memories, things we enjoyed, had fun with or had the opportunity to meet great people during. "It seems like just yesterday is NOT something that goes a long with the loss of a child". It seems like FOREVER ago because we are missing them deeply and are trying so hard to hold on to that one last moment, that happy time, those feelings as they slip further and further away.

One year ago this week we were at Disney World on our family vacation, Bryce's first trip to Disney. One year ago his hair was growing in for the first time in his life, he was extremely happy, he seemed to be getting healthier, it seemed like we might just beat the cancer... One year ago we were very hopeful that Bryce would be able to beat the monster.... This week we went to Disney World, one year later... a family of 3!

Wade spends the summer with George's family, he has been doing this for the last 3 years, in Orlando. It's his "summer vacation" and started out as a way for George's parents to have special quality time with Wade since they don't live by us. The first year it was just on a whim, last year it was to help us out so we could focus on Bryce's treatments, this year it is to give Wade a fun summer where he is the center of attention. He looks forward to it all year, mapping out all the things that he is going to do. How many times he will go to Disney World, play at the playground, etc. He loves this time! George and I look forward to it as well, it gives us time to focus on each other and work extra shifts. This year though we are a little somber too... It is the first time in many years that we have had an "empty home". Bitter Sweet. We are happy to have time to spend together, knowing Wade is having a Blast, but...

George and I just got back from dropping Wade off for the summer. We spent the last 2 days laying by the pool at Disney World. Of course Wade keeps us laughing, silly little things like on the airplane, the Flight attendant gave him his Sprite and instead of saying Thank You, Wade said "You are so inspirational"... I about spit my soda out! He is such a funny kid... We had a really nice time just hanging out at the pool. Wade really loved it and it was nice to relax. Now... it's back to the grind. 2 months to get the house cleaned up, painted, reorganized... Get the garage cleaned out, spend more time with George, work overtime, and try and make time to have a Great Summer "Vacation" for ourselves!

I also wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone for helping me with my Birthday Wish. I posted a challenge for everyone to donate $1.00 to my St Baldricks account http://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/mypage/participantid/414671 for my birthday, a Way to help childhood cancer research, my goal was to try and raise $500 for my birthday. You all are amazing and I can not say thank you enough as my birthday donations came pouring in raising $660 in less than 24 hours... Simply Amazing!!!!!

A year has passed, our family has changed, our hearts hurt, but we promise to make this the best summer we possibly can! Day trips, dinners, movies, quality time. I want to look back on this summer and think "it feels like just yesterday"



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for letting me be part of that special vacation last year! Thank you for being my friend.....my family! Enjoy this time, get caught up, play, live and find what makes you happy. That's the hard part, putting ourselves first and making ourselves happy. Love you and hope to see you when you come to pick Wade up! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete